Sunday, March 11, 2012

Omni Hut - Owner Passes Away

Jim Walls: A Pearl Harbor veteran who later created one of Rutherford County's most popular restaurants has died.
Brooke and I saw the marquee, but didn't have have clue what had happened or who had passed away.
Jim gave State Rep. Mike Sparks his first job at the restaurant at the age of 13.-
“I remember him telling me that the banker he went to get a loan said he’d only be in business about three months,” Sparks said. “Maj. Walls was a visionary and he really walked to the beat of his own drum. He had a belief in himself that he could make (Omni Hut) successful.”

Omni Hut in Smyrna revives the Polynesianand Hawaiian vibe of the ‘60s tiki trend to great effect. Not just the amazing decor, with its South Sea carvings, real aquariums full of stunning fish and glowing, colorful net-weight lights, but the menu of real Polynesian treats is full of unique and unusal meal options.

Founded in 1960 by Major James Walls (U.S.A.F., retired), the restaurant is now run by his charming daughter Polly Walls-Balakhani, who greets guests dressed in a traditional floral mumu. Walls made a hobby of collecting recipes during his Air Force career, and when he settled here, he brought a love of Chinese cookery styles and used his recipe files to wow audiences. Omni Hut was actually only the second Asian-themed restaurant in Tennessee. The first, in Memphis, has since closed its doors, but Omni Hut still thrives, and the community fills its dining rooms five nights a week. There is no bar, but you can bring your own alcoholic beverage, and for a small fee they will arrange it in ice and glasses for you to drink
Brooke and I met to eat dinner here last Wednesday night after Brooke had her hair appointment; you know those gray hairs (just kidding). It had been a long day; we were both tired, and we overheard the hostess telling the table behind us about the visitation hours. When I was researching for this post, I found out that it was the owner who passed away.

Almost twenty years ago I had been in this same restaurant with my two sisters, and my sister's family. We had the egg drop soup with the Poo Poo platter. We had so much fun, and the food was amazing back then. I do have a souvenier from that day, my older sister was upset because she couldn't get a souvenier too.
Today: Brooke ordered the chicken and fried rice meal; I ordered chicken on a stick and egg rolls with shrimp and vegetables. In my opinion the chicken and egg rolls were a little bit off at this visit, but I'm sure the staff/family of Jim Wall's were mourning the loss of their friend/family member. I will say that the warm bread they brought out with butter was so amazingly delicious. I had to stop myself from eating a second piece.
This restaurant brings back some fond memories for me, new memories with a dear friend and under the circumstances, I will give it another try in the future. That Volcano dessert looked amazing, and it's brought out to you with a flame to look like a real volcano. WOW!!!
When we were settling up our tabs at the end of the meal, we were asked where we would have eaten if not here. Our response was "Cheddars or another restaurant on Sam Ridley, close to the interstate." The Omni Hut is farther from the interstate, it's a privately owned restaurant. I can imagine that it's hard to compete with these larger chain restaurants.
Thanks Brooke for meeting me to eat, and just doing something different. It helps to do something different; I wish "Omni Hut" the best of luck through lifes trying times, and my souvenier of this visit is pictures. My sister Wendy wouldn't be jealous this time, Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment