Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Dad - My Hero

I think about my Dad more in March than any other month; it was the month he was born. He was so proud of his three girls (Wendy, Robin and Me), he would do anything for us.

One Memory: When I was in first grade, my Mom told me not to play ball in the house. While my mother was gone to the store, I decided that I would play ball. Yeah, in the house. That ball hit her hanging crystal bowl; thank goodness my Dad was there. He helped me glue that bowl back together, and he kept my secret to his death. My Mom finally found out that I did it about two years ago in 2009, and I was 41.

Another Memory: I moved to Nashville, and decided that I wanted to change jobs in 2002. A family friend worked for a temporary staffing agency, and she sent me to a airline ticket boxing factory. I had never worked in a factory; the first night, I dropped a whole box of tickets and they went all over the floor. Needless to say the line lead was not happy with me! The next morning I woke up with paper cuts all over my arms from the airline tickets that I had picked up, sore muscles from lifting all those ticket boxes, and I called my Dad crying. I told him that I wasn't going back to this job; I hoped he understood, and he said he did. That very next day my friend sent me to an office where I filed correspondence, and that started my long road to my current position that I love. Several years later, I found out that my Dad had called our family friend. He told her that she was not to send me to another factory, and that he didn't appreciate her sending me to such a rough job, and that he expected her to send me somewhere that was much more suitable for me. That's why she sent me to that office!

I'm sorry for breaking that crystal bowl Mom: thank you so much for protecting me and taking care of me Dad, and I wouldn't be the person I am without both of you. I just hope other children experience two loving parents like I did.

Thank you Mom and Dad; I miss you both so much, but I know you're watching over Robin and I. Robin needs a little more watching over, remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment