Saturday, March 19, 2011

Nashville Guitar Town

Guitar Town, a public arts project that featured fifty 10-foot tall fiberglass Gibson Les Paul or Chet Atkins model guitars were launched on April 1, 2005 proceeding the Catfish Town sculptures. All these oversize guitar sculptures were artistically designed by local and nationally acclaimed visual artists and placed throughout Nashville in front of the city's landmarks and businesses for a period of one year. December 2005 Gibson Guitars collected all the sculptures, and auctioned them off for charity in February of 2006.


Robin and I were driving through Cool Springs looking for Chef Paul's restaurant; when we passed Blue Coast Burrito, I noticed a large sculpture within the outside sitting area. I've been addicted to taking pictures lately; so I had to get out to take one, and realized this was one of the 2005 Guitar Town sculptures. Unfortunately Chef Paul's is closed, but I'm glad I was able to take a picture of this guitar. I wasn't interested in these sculptures in 2005 when they were distributed throughout Nashville, but now I'm mesmerized. I have to find more!


It was so pretty last Friday, that I got Robin out into the beautiful weather for a treasure hunt. We were able to find six more sculptures at the Nashville West shopping area. I don't know if there is a way to find more, but I'll be on the lookout.


THE SCULPTURES: (Aren't they amazing?)


"The Beat Gogh's On"


Located at Blue Coast Burrito in Cool Springs



"The Driving Force in Entertainment"

Nashville West Shopping Mall


"Twang"

Nashville West Shopping Mall


"Muzik Mafiad Orginal"

Nashville West Shopping Mall

"50 Years of George Jones"

Nashville West Shopping Mall

"The Wizard of Waukesha"

Nashville West Shopping Mall

"Nashville the Beautiful"

Nashville West Shopping Mall

2 comments:

  1. So fun!! I just noticed yesterday that STL must be doing this with butterflies. Lots of sculptures of different colored butterflies around. And Athens, GA of course has decorated bulldog sculptures around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I bet the Butterflies are pretty!

    ReplyDelete